Friday, January 4, 2013

December 5, 2012...

This is a day that I will never forget.
I remember what I was wearing.
I remember what I ate.
I remember it all.

I woke up that morning in my bed at my parent's house.
I woke up knowing that it was going to be a long day.
I called my mom who had slept over at my grandpa's care center.
My grandpa was already on his way through the veil.
It was just a matter of time.
I went over there around 9 AM so my mom could come home and shower.
I got there and about 10 minutes after being there, Joan, the Hospice nurse
came in to tell us that he was so close to passing away that my mom might want to stay.
We stayed and watched.
Eventually the rest of my family came over.
We all sat around his bed, watching old John Wayne movies.
Trent was nice enough to bring us all lunch.
We sat and sat and sat.
My siblings would come and go.
I was fortunate to have the day off of work.
I didn't leave my grandpa's side.
1:30 AM came around and we were all exhausted.
I asked to have a few minutes with him alone.
I sat and prayed.
Prayed for him to just go.
I wasn't sure if he was in pain or not.
He was asleep the whole day.
His breathing got slower.
It looked difficult for him.
It was painful for us to just watch.
My mom told me just to go home.
But I knew that if I were to go home, that I would miss something.
She kept on insisting that I go home, but I was too stubborn to give in.
I slept right next to my mom that night while she slept next to her dad.
I surprisingly enough fell asleep.
Around 3:30, my mom fell asleep.
It surprised me due to the circumstance.
At 4:00 in the morning we both sat up at the same time.
Looked over at grandpa and listened for one of his painful sounding breaths.
Nothing.
Pure silence.
We were in shock.
He passed.
He was finally through the veil and reunited with his sweetheart and his Heavenly Father.
It was a long, emotional day.
I won't go into so much detail of what was said and what exactly happened.
But all I will say is that it was a peaceful night.
I have learned so many things through this experience.


  •  Life is short. Live it.
  • People are kind and have good hearts.
  • This gospel is so true.
  • Take advantage of the time you get to spend with family.
  • Love one another.
  • He never said it would be easy. He only said it would be worth it.
I love my grandpa so much. 
I loved holding his hand and walking around with him.
I loved sitting with him and watching old cowboy movies.
I loved it when he would pull me in for a kiss.
I loved his stories.
I loved his example of hard work.
I love him.

I will never forget the legacy he has left behind.
I can't wait to feel his presence at my wedding.
I can't wait to see him again.

Because I know I will.




No comments:

Post a Comment