Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Voice..

The Golden Living Center.
A senior center.
You think it would be your typical smelly ol' place with a lot of old people who are grumpy all the time.
Not the GLC.
Synergy performed there last night.
It was good to be back.

I remember walking into GLC when I was 6.
I was in a blue dress with a big blue bow in my hair.
Ready to perform with To The Top Blue.
I was terrified.
It smelled.
The people scared me.
This big guy in a jazzy on the front row scared me.
I didn't like it.

After a couple of years of performing there, it got easier and a lot more fun.
The people were sweet and loving.
I recognized the big guy.
In the jazzy.
On the front row.

Christmas time.
He was there.
Spring time.
He was there.

Finally learned that his name was "Shrek".
If you ever meet him, you will know why.
The biggest teddy bear in the world.
Looks like the guy too!

I have now performed at the Golden Living Center 22 times.
22.
And all 22 times...Shrek is there.
On the front row.
In his jazzy.
Clapping his hands.
Singing along.

It was amazing to see him there last night.
He told Kim, "It's good to see you guys....it means that I've made it another 6 months"
Incredible.
HE. is incredible.

This could very well be my last performance at the Golden Living Center.
Made sure I made it count.
I love it there.
I love the sweet spirit there.
We didn't have a big audience last night.
BUT.
We had Shrek and a few others that were able to attend.

I was able to talk to the man himself after the show.
He didn't remember my name.
I didn't care.
He was happy and that's all that mattered to me.

I had blown him a kiss after our bows.
He saw it.
Loved it.
Remembered it.



It's because of people like Shrek that I perform.
They inspire me.
They uplift me.
They make me happy.

Synergy is a Voice to the World.
A way to change lives and be changed ourselves.
During our rehearsal last night, Vanessa talked to us about our final song.
A Voice to the World.
Our show wasn't complete at the GLC because we didn't have our final song ready.
Tears were streaming down some of our faces as we ran through and through that number last night.
I was one of those.
I saw the children in the Philippines as I closed my eyes.
I saw their hungry tummies and bare feet.
I saw Shrek.
His big smile and love for life.

That's why we perform.
To lift up others and help them know that they are loved.
That there is hope.
That there is peace.

"A voice to the world. You can hear their laughter. You can hear the words they pray. A voice to the world. It's up to you and me to show them the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment