Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tamales.

I have a pretty fun job.
Sometimes.
I do drive a lot and I can get pretty sick of it.
Gas prices seem to be in limbo.
It's hot today.
My AC doesn't help much.
My back is hurting.
Oops... there's an accident up ahead.
Stuck in traffic.
Driving is my job.

I guess it's not always like this.
The fun part of my job is being able to be out of the store.
Driving.
All by myself.
Blasting whatever I wanted to listen to without having someone change the track or station.
Having the window rolled down.
Wind surfing with my hand.
Sunglasses on.
It's summer time.
The joys of driving.

Today was a pretty good driving day.
I deliver to a place called DHI about twice a week.
The ladies there are my favorite.
I marketed to them so I get to take all of their deliveries.
On my way to DHI, there is a cute little mexican lady that sits on
the corner of the street selling homemade tamales.
$1.25 is all she asks for.
I would always tell myself to pick one up and help the cute lady out.
I saw her a few weeks ago and told myself, "I promise I will purchase a tamale next time."
I took my delivery and as luck would have it...
She was there!
I passed by and kept driving.
Then I remembered my promise.
I pulled a U-turn and pulled over by her stand.
She came right over.
Eyes filled with light.
A big smile on her face.
A menu in hand.

Pork.
Chicken.
Cheese.
$1.25


I ordered a cheese one.
Realizing she knew no english whatsoever.
I gathered my 9th grade spanish skills and tried to communicate with her.
Senor Thomas' class really paid off.

She pulled out a warm tamale from her cooler
and put it in a brown paper bag for me.
She gave it to me with a big smile on her face.
I gave her $1.25.
It was all the change I had in my wallet.
It was worth it.
I drove off and ate this homemade cheese tamale.
It was warm.
It was homemade.
It was delicious.

I'm so happy I kept such a simple promise.
I don't know the lady's name.
I don't know her background.
Maybe I'll get another tamale someday and learn her story.

So ya...
My job as a driver can be lame sometimes.
But today...
I was more than happy to have the job I have.
I get to discover and meet new people everyday.
I even got to enjoy a little afternoon snack!


1 comment: