Monday, September 10, 2012

Now it's my turn...

I started teaching dance again tonight.
I have missed that studio dearly.
I have missed walking through those doors with my sweats on along with a water bottle and iPod in hand ready to teach girls what I was once taught at a younger age.
I still find myself learning new things as I teach.
I find it interesting being a teacher.
It's weird watching these girls as I take them through the stretch routine and think to myself, 
"I was once that little..." 
or
"I remember that frustration of not being able to do a double turn too."
or
"I used to be able to move my body like that..."
or
"Where did the time go??"

It's interesting growing up as a dancer.
I started at such a young age.
The age of 3. 
I remember Miss Connie teaching me my left foot from my right foot.
The pink heart on my ballet slipper was my right foot.
And the blue star was my left.
Now it's my turn.
To teach these little girls where their left foot is.
How to point it.
How to do a simple turn.
How to do a leap.
I remember Miss Connie holding my hand as I would do my leaps across the floor.
Now it's my turn.
To guide these girls as they learn something that is so new to them.

I remember being taught all of this.
I also remember being the one who would hang on the ballet bar like a crazy monkey.
My teachers were so patient with me.
They would bribe me with treats and such.
Now it's my turn.
To have patience.
To bribe my students with treats or games.

Now it's my turn.
My turn to watch these girls progress.
To watch them grow up.
To teach them what I have learned in my history of dancing.
To be an example.
To be the sister that some of these girls may not have.
To lift them up.
To be the Miss Connie in their lives.

I never thought I would ever be a dance teacher.
Of course....I dreamed about it everyday.
It was something I always wanted to do.
I just never thought it would happen to me. 
Now it's my turn... 
To have a lifelong dream...
Come true.

1 comment: