Sunday, July 7, 2013

.summer.camp.

Our first project we started on was our summer camp up in one of the slums in Hyderabad. Day one came and all 5 of us volunteers were beyond stoked and ready to start the work!
We were planning on having about 50 kids there between ages 5-11. Turned out that we have about 70 kids on our first day and a good number of them were toddlers. We didn't mind though! We had an absolute blast! We had lessons plans made and everything but due to the number of children and the chaos, we ended up playing A LOT of games and dancing around A LOT. We were also able to throw some lessons on the ABC's, 123's, colors and fruits. I honestly loved being there.
*Funny story...so on day one of summer camp we arrived not really knowing what to expect. We walked into this one roomed church building with all of the children sitting there boys separated from the girls. The children were so confused when 5 Americans walked into the room. Eliza, Eric and I just started playing with the kids and running around with them. After a few more minutes of confusion they found what we were doing to be rather fun. When it came time to separate into groups with the volunteers we asked the kids to pick a volunteer. Most of the boys ran to Eric, half of the group ran to Eliza and the other half ran to me. I had kids wrapped around my legs, stomach and arms. This is when it hit me. This is happening. I'm in India. Let's do this.

I met some pretty amazing children who I wanted to take home so badly. I loved spending a few hours a day for 2 weeks with these beautiful children. It made me really excited to be a future teacher. I think I found a new kind of love for children. These children have nothing and yet they love so unconditionally. They are so humble and happy. Being up in the slums for this project was an eye opening experience. You see slums in movies and pictures, but physically being there was something else. The homes were made of tarps and cinder blocks. The roads are super bumpy and dirty. Although it was a slum, it was a beautiful place to be. The love that came from the people made being there a beautiful and positive experience for us all. This was a perfect project to start an amazing summer with. Very humbling. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

This is Divya. One of the brightest and smartest girls I know.

This is Angel....she truly is an angel.

We taught them how to blow kisses...they love that!


This is my little Vanilla. She stole my heart the second I saw her.






Putting their hand prints on posters for their school!


Blowing kisses with my Vanilla!



Okay....This is who I call the "Wild Child". The second I saw her I wanted to be her friend. I had been calling her the wild child because...well she's wild and a typical little 4 year old! I later found out that he name is Nora...I still call her my "wild child".

SUMMER CAMP 2013!

I miss these children each and every day. I know I'll see them again. They will always have a special place in my heart!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Annie. What a great experience you are having and what a blessing you are to all those you are serving. Love you Annie Bananie!!! xoxoxoox YFA

    ReplyDelete