Thursday, April 18, 2013

.dreams.come.true.

After not making it past the first cut at BYU Young Ambassador auditions, I was mad. I felt stuck. Stuck with nowhere to go. For those of you who know me will know that performing is my life. It's what I live for. It's my passion. I then made a promise to myself that I will audition again and again. A few weeks later I felt like I needed to text my friend Laina asking about Noteworthy auditions. **Noteworthy is an all girl acapella group at BYU.** Auditions weren't until fall so that gave me 4 months to prepare. A few minutes after this conversation she sent me a picture of a flyer advertising a new acapella group that was forming at BYU. A coed group. Auditions? 6 days. As soon as I received that picture I jumped on my laptop looking for song ideas for my audition. Every day after that I practiced and practiced. A few days before the audition I got the flu followed by a sinus infection. (my life!!!!!!) The day before the audition I woke up with no voice. I panicked. I did everything I could to get my voice back. Voice rest. Nasty drinks. Steamy showers. I auditioned the next day and did surprisingly well considering the fact that I had no voice. I got a phone call that night asking to come to call backs. I cried. CALL BACKS! 2 words I wanted to hear! 

Call backs came and I found myself discouraged. I walked into the room and found more people there than anticipated. I panicked. Then I heard some of the girls sing. I panicked...again. I had no voice. And with no voice came no confidence. "Well..I'm screwed!" I said to myself. My mom then texted me at the perfect moment. "You will be great. You are great! Lets have a joint prayer right now. Love you!" Man my mom is good! I then knew that I needed to say a prayer. I paced around in the back of the room while others were singing. It was a very simple yet important prayer. I sang and gave it my all. Still, not much of a voice to show. I found myself starting to get a little emotional. Tearing up inside. I wanted to leave. But I knew that this was my chance. That I needed to be there. So I stayed and finished my call back. 

Leaving the call back was discouraging and heart breaking. I didn't think I had any chance. I found myself giving up and accepting the fact that I was "stuck". Later that evening, I was with my sister Jessica and I looked at my phone and had a missed call and voicemail. Long story short, I was asked to go back to the audition room the next morning for a meeting with the 2013-2014 BYU Coed Acapella Group. I made it! I couldn't believe it. I immediately said a prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. I finally feel apart of something. I am truly blessed. This is a dream of mine. This is silly but after watching the movie Pitch Perfect, I had this dream to be apart of a group like that. Now I am. It has all happened so fast. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment