Wednesday, May 22, 2013

.india.2013.

I didn't think that this blog post would ever happen. On December 5, 2012, I made the decision to go to India. On May 14th, I was on a plane on my way to India....well Atlanta actually. I had a hard time saying goodbye to family and friends. A really hard time. I felt every sort of emotion possible. It was scary. I told myself I wouldn't look back at my family after handing the TSA man my passport and flight ticket. As soon as I handed him my information, I started crying. It would have been so easy for me to turn around and run back to my family but I know they would probably run away from me just to make sure I got on that plane. I looked back at them and they stood there with big smiles on their faces....and some tears..hopefully. I met Eliza Dowdle at the gate and we just hugged. She could tell I was struggling so her positive attitude and smile helped a ton. It felt nice to have a piece of home there with me.

The flight to Atlanta was long. Well only 4 hours but it felt super long. I started feeling anxious and scared again. I had to go to the bathroom to say a prayer. I knew that those prayers were going to be happened A LOT. We made it to Atlanta. Again, the feeling of wanting to go to the gate desk and ask to switch my flight to SLC came over me. I made phone calls back home and my parents were able to comfort me and reassure me that I needed to be in India and that there were people there waiting for me. I got on the plane as bravely as I could. Eliza and I weren't able to sit by each other. This flight was 14 hours. I "slept" for 9 of those hours and did...well I don't really remember what I did for the remaining 5. But it was a miserable flight. We made it to Dubai. Dudes...the airport is bizarre! It is beautiful! I had never seen anything like it. They had these UFO things hanging from the ceiling and palm trees lining the gates.

I got on Facebook to talk to anyone who was awake. I was able to talk to friends and family. Aubrey and Trent were online and they really helped me remember why I was going to India. I was able to get my mom to get on facebook and nothing is more comforting than a mother. I felt like I needed to get off the computer and go sit by Eliza. Literally 2 seconds after sitting down, a little Indian girl came over and started talking to us. Her name was Neha and her mother's name was Sirisha. They were both from India but were currently living in Atlanta. Turns out they were on our flight to India so they sat and talked with us for a few hours. It was such a blessing. Sirisha have us some insight on India and some advice. It was so comforting and helpful! I began to get a little bit more excited.

We boarded the plane. I will say this....chivalry is dead here. Eliza and I literally got shoved while getting onto the jet way. It was...interesting. After a 4 hour flight to Hyderabad, we made it! Ben (our country director) and Jenny (a fellow intern) were there to greet us. What a relief to be done with plane rides! It was May 16th. 2 days of traveling was exhausting. We took a cab to our apartment.

I will say one thing....we are spoiled. There is AC, internet (well...hopefully will be soon), water, beds and the whole shabang. It's not a 5-star hotel but hey! I heard the crew over in Fiji don't have AC or internet. Eliza and I share a room. The heat in India is beyond intense so the AC is nice to come home to.

I love our group. So far we have Ben and Julia (both country directors) then me, Eliza, Jenny and Eric. We all get along so well and are just loving it here. We spent the rest of the day getting some food, unpacking and just relaxing. Eliza and I were able to catch up on some sleep and relax.

I can't wait to start working and getting to know my home for the next 3 months. I already love it here and I am looking forward to immersing myself in the work and culture.

More posts to come with facts and stories!!

No comments:

Post a Comment