Friday, March 8, 2013

.god.is.good.

I know you have all seen bunches of posts on Facebook about a historical evening the Pinnock family witnessed last night but I just have to blog about it. Without knowing, cousins, Josh and Stephen put their mission papers in on the same day. We had planned on watching them open their calls on March 6th since that was the day we expected their calls to come....however....they didn't arrive. Josh and Stephen, being the amazing boys they are, didn't mind one bit. Stephen would tell me, "It's okay! I've been called and it will come eventually. That's all that matters. I'm not worried one bit!" What a guy! March 7th comes around and I receive a text from my mom: "It came!!" And as luck would have it, Josh's came too. Welp...saddle up! Time for lives to change in just a sentence or two! 

We all gathered at my Uncle Jon and Aunt Laura's house for this moment.  A few minutes before they opened their calls I told Jon that they had to go to the same country...they just had to. Not the same mission...but we were hoping at least the same country. In past conversations our family had talked about predictions as to where we thought Stephen would go. My mom was convinced he was going to the Philippines. I thought either New York or Italy. Jess thought Italy...only because she WANTED him to go there (she is our little Italian). We gathered around these two boys (okay men...) and anticipated to hear the assignment of where they were to serve the Lord for the next 2 years. Stephen, being the oldest of the 2, went first. 

"Dear Elder Pinnock,
You have been called to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the ITALY, MILAN mission!!"

I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. Is my little brother seriously going to his DREAM MISSION!? Is he going where I predicted?! Is he even old enough to do this?! 

After a lot of cheers, shouts and tears...it was Josh's turn. We again...anticipated.


"Dear Elder Pinnock,
You have been called to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the ITALY, MILAN mission!!"

Again...even louder cheers, shouts and tears! I thought he was joking, but Josh put his hand to his mouth and immediately started sobbing. This was no joke. This was real. This was happening. This was amazing.

The 2 elders embraced in a long, much needed, hug. They just held each other. Laughed. Cried. Hugged. These 2 brothers from 2 mothers have been called to 1 mission. The Italy, Milan mission. Departing on the SAME day, July 24, 2013.

God is good. He is real....and well...funny. 

I still can't believe this moment happened. I can't believe that my little brother and his side kick of 18 years are old enough to go on missions....let alone, the same mission! Good speed Elders Pinnock!










My Aunt Laura asked me to make a video of this moment and so here it is!






4 comments:

  1. I saw their video this last week. My daughter is serving in Milan. She went in the MTC on August 1, 2012. She is Sorella Alison Hanson. It was awesome to see that they are serving with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,

    I don't know you, but I saw your post on LDS Mission Calls on Facebook. "2 cousins 1 mission". This post REALLY was an amazing...AMAZING...story. I was really touched when seeing it. I shared it on my timeline..that's how much I thought it was cool. I am VERY excited for these 2 Elders. I was looking at LDS MISSION CALLS page tonight...and watched a post of an Elder Cayden Christensen opening his mission call. I believe he has been called to the same mission as your brother and cousin. I KNOW FOR SURE it is Italy....I BELIEVE it is Milan. Either way he reports to the MTC on July 24 2013...THE SAME DAY as your family "Elders". There is a VERY good chance they will be in the same MTC district. When I saw this tonight I immediately thought of your brother and cousin....I went back and doubled checked the dates for both posting....and sure enough it is the same. It might be very cool if your brother and cousin somehow were able to get in contact with this Elder Christensen...???? I found this, your blog site from a post....Im really glad to have found it. I hope you will post the progression of your brother and cousin's mission stories as they unfold. In my mission, we had a brother and a sister....and a set of brothers who even became companions. I was in the Germany Hamburg Mission.
    I have posted a comment on the post of Cayden Christensen opening his call, for him to check out the post you made of your brother and cousin opening thier calls....I believe they are going to the same place. SO cool.
    By the way my name is Robert Cooper and I live in Las Vegas and Newport Beach, CA. email: robertcooperlds@gmail.com

    Anyway...I thought this might be another interesting aspect of your borther and cousin's mission experience.

    Have a GREAT day..and GOOD LUCK to Anziano Pinnock and Anziano Pinnock!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend posted the link to the you tube video about those boys and their mission call. As a mom with her second missionary due to arrive home in 7 weeks, I bawled. But.. before my son comes home, so do two of his friends. We live in a town of 600 , where the kids go to the same school from k-9, with only one class of each grade. We were all surprised too when, friends since Kindergarten , Tyrell Nielsen and Chris Evanson.. were both called to the same mission.. The California SanBernadino mission... And yes, for a few transfers they served as companions. They will be home one week tomorrow. The most amazing part, is a year and a half before Chris left on his mission, he and two other boys in our stake were in a car accident on my son's 17th birthday. One returned from Mexico in December, Chris returns next week, and the third has been serving in the spirit world for four years now. You can see there story on am mormon message at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbMAeMdpB0. Congratulations to both Pinnock boys! One of our good friend served in Italy...they will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete